This festival is much needed all over the US, and the world.
I have been told this won’t work…
But we can restore common sense/common cents to the masses.
This quote is from the final section of Common Sense by T. Paine. His pamphlet is intended not just to lay out an argument in favor of independence, but also to motivate and rouse the populace.
Until an independence is declared the continent will feel itself like a man who continues putting off some unpleasant business from day to day, yet knows it must be done, hates to set about it, wishes it over, and is continually haunted with the thoughts of its necessity.
Where: Oakland Ca
What: Festival for Common Cents/Sense/Community building
When: April 1st, 9am to 8pm
Where: Lake Merritt
How much: $0.00 It’s free! No money is to be exchanged at the festival
If we band together, we can end most basic human suffering in Oakland within a few years.
This is not suggesting any wacky theories, not lawlessness.
Only common sense, scientific solutions. We can help each other regain motivation, self-confidence, and a sense of community through art, knowledge, and shared resources.
If you’d like to help. I’m still recruiting & need the following help/volunteers:
- Poster designers (currently have 3 of 5-10 volunteers)
- Photographers (3-5 volunteers) to take no more than 50-100 shots per photographer
- Videographers (3-4 volunteers) to shoot no more than 20 subects/1 min clips per
- Other philanthropists (2 volunteers) — I can do all of this alone but I would like help to help contact potential sponsors, musicians, vendors, Etc (Clif Bar, Kind Bar, Raw Papers, other organic/ethical/sustainable companies, SZA, Pharrell/Noone*Ever*Really*Dies, Kali Uchis, Paramore, Incubus, Pixar, City of Oakland, etc… )
-I already have someone waiting to contact the city about permits on 2/21
- Medic/Triage director & (4-7) volunteers for first aid/healthcare sign-up combo
- Movie projector, screen & operators (3-6 volunteers so it will be done i 2-3hr shifts) Can someone please contact Pixar to ask for licensing? They are a Bay Area company and I’m sure they would love to let us show Toy Story at this fest. Toy Story will be able to reach the youth, it teaches that there are ways around problems even if people say you can’t solve it. It teaches self-confidence, friendship, misunderstandings, acceptance, friendship, love, etcetera…)
- Philanthropists (4-20 volunteers) to provide social work/resources to anyone in need of food, shelter, or healthcare. These tasks will include helping people sign up for EBT, Medi-Cal, cheaper housing, looking over resumes to help the youth get jobs
- Poets/Speakers (8 volunteers) to join me in my “Misunderstood Monologues” to rebuild community and understanding on all fronts (if you have factual experiences with discrimination against you because of how you look before someone understands who you are, share it. This can include “looking homeless”… looking rich, looking white, looking black, looking mean and being shunned, looking too nice and being taken advantage of, looking like a woman, looking like a man and being judged, etc…)
- Artists/business owners to showcase their art/services to make the fest vibrant (20-40 volunteers, no money exchanged at this festival!)
-live painters-jewelry makers-henna-zines-photography booth/prints-pottery-glass/smoking wares/tattoo appt set up
- People who want to run/join a “Free Market” (10-20 traders will lay vintage clothing, collectibles, other things out on the grass to trade their items)
- Musicians (12 hr festival, so 5-7 singers/bands would suffice) to sing original work or covers of songs such as “What’s Goin On” by Marvin Gaye
- Poets/Speakers (4 volunteers with stories to share. Do you have a sotry of being shamed/ignored in regards to your natural body?) to join me in my “Naked Monologues”
(Similar to Vagina Monologues, this will be to desexualize and normalize nudity, talk about sexual harassment and why it’s not OK to stand by as people in your community are victimized. I was one of those people who asked for help and instead was ignored.
- Event planners (2 volunteers) and other great thinkers to help make sure everything is covered
- People of science and reason (5-10 volunteers) to spread the word on nature conservancy, medicinal plants, healthy diets, proper Fitness technique, proper self-defense technique I was assaulted and my pepper spray was in my pocket, many people keep it in their backpacks)
- If you’d like to help monetarily, I am accepting festival donations , and if you’d like to donate to me personally, that would also be helpful. I want to focus my time on the festival rather than worrying about rent and food to eat. These are problems I am trying to solve, but spend too much time focusing on basic needs instead of my festival. Send PayPal donations to email@example.com
In order for me to receive full amount, “Family and Friends”
I will be keeping everything transparent to ensure trust!
Currently raised for Common Cents Fest:
Dr. Necessitor — $20
Josh — $20
Brian — $20
Jake — $25
Stephen K — $50